Monday, April 24, 2006

Screaming Monday

Today is monday. Dave has mondays off so after we finished our chores (we had mounds of dishes to do because we spent the day making a cake for a friend's engagement party. I'll find the picture... And there was a superfluous amount of icing and caking and such involved in this process, so there were sooo many dishes. Oh, and there was a colorful spread of clean clothes taking of residence on our bed... still putting those away) we decided to go for a walk with little Corrina. But being overtired, she woke up in the middle and could not get back to sleep so was forced to wail at the top of her lungs until we arrived home and could help her sleep. So while i would usualy agree with some people that personal music devices are a nuisance and prevent people from listening to the nature around them or conversing with others, today (and other days) i have appreciated that they save me the embarassment of walking past people who are thinking "bad mother... listen to that screaming baby". Of course i know that the majortiy of people are not thinking this, especially people who themselves have/had babies, but i will admit that i feel like they think that about me: Cooley's Looking Glass. Said walk certainly was not the joyeous occasion we intended it to be, but we still got our excersize and are happy campers!

Recently i have found more time to read and i have choosen the book Abba's Child by Brennan manning. It is an extraordinary look at behaving and living with the understanding and trust that God loves us completely, not because he has to, but because he wants to. He likes us... imagine that. There are so many challenging thoughts in this book and i am going to take a moment to share a few that impacted me greatly this morning:
"God calls His children to a countercultural lifestyle of forgiveness in a world that demands an eye for an eye-and even worse. But if loving God is the first commandment, and loving our neighbor proves our love for God, and if it is easy to love those who love us, then loving our enemies must be the filial badge that identifies Abba's Children. The summons to live as forgiven and forgiving children is radically inclusive. it is addressed not only to the wife whose husband forgot their wedding anniversary but also to parents whose child was slaughtered by a drunken driver, to the victims of slanderous accusations, to the poor living in flithy boxes who see the rich drive by in Mercedes...The dmenads of forgiveness are so daunting that they seem humanlu impossible. The exigencies of forgiveness are simply beyond the capacity of ungraced human will. Only reckless confidence in a Source greater than ourselves can empower us to fogive the wounds inflicted by others. In Boundary moments such as these there is only one place to go-Calvary. Stay there a long time and watch as Abba's Only-Begotten dies utterly alone in bloddy disgrace...The crucified Christ is not merely a heroic example to the church: He is the power and wisdom of God, a living force in His present riseness, tranforming our lives and enabling us to exten the hand of reconciliation to our enermies. Understanding triggers the compassion that mkes forgiveness possible... The heartfelt compassion that hastens forgivenss matures when we discover where our enemy cries. "

Wow, that was a mouthful! But such an excellent bite of wisdom. Now i shall work on swallowing it all and implementing it in my everyday. Forgiveness is so important because with it (perhaps preceeding it) comes the compassion for people that Jesus daily exemplified. Because God has such tender compassion for us he has perfect acceptance of us. How wonderful. We are God's beloved.
One last quote of a quote in the book:
"Henri Nouwen's words are incisive here: 'What is required is to become the Beloved in common places of my daily existence and, bit by bit, to close the gap that exists between what i know myself to be and the countless specific realities of everyday life. Becoming the Beloved is pulling the truth revealed to me from above down into the ordinariness of what i am, in fact, thinking of, talking about, and doing from hour to hour."

Now i will share some pictures with you... random pictures.

This is our good friend Ernie! He is a great guy. Him and Corrina were chillaxing at our friends engagement party this weekend.
This is a cake I made for our friends engagement party. Her colors are green and pink (those are little pink, yellow and white flowers... sorry small pic). Dave helped me out with the decorating. It tasted delicious and wasn't too hard to do. I wish everyone could have enjoyed the cake. Congratulations Odie and Zach (i fyou ever stop in here). See you at your wedding! Oh yes, and in the picture below you can see our new chairs. Super comfy, and they don't fall apart when you sit on them.

6 comments:

mammasita said...

Wow, I have not found the time to do baking and what not yet. But Im sure I will figure it out soon.. Elaina is starting to play longer on her own, This past week I have been putting her in her crib at bedtime and giving her, her sucky and walking away. The first couple of night is was hard I just wanted to go in there and pick her up but I held back and she went to bed. Now she is getting really good at just falling alseep on her own. Now Im starting to work on her naps. So far Im starting to put her to sleep how I have been and then as soon as I notice that she is almost a sleep I put her in her crib she looks at me and then just falls back to sleep. Anyways Im going to go to bed now, have not been feeling to well the last few days so "need more sleep" hehehee
Take care
Keyra

Anonymous said...

Hey Janie,
What a beautiful cake...and of course a beautiful-er baby! Thanks for those encouraging words - sounds like a great book. Hey, we have the same chairs!! Ikea, right? Well, take it easy,
Natalie

Anonymous said...

Now THAT is some cake Janie & Dave. Its HUGE. Is it 4 layers piled together? I've not seen a cake that high for a long time and I've never made one that size. It looks great! Congratulations to your newly engaged friends. I'll bet they loved their cake. Its so good to see pics of what you are all doing.

About the walk with a screaming baby - it happens! Try not to worry about it. Most people aren't thinking about you at all, they are far too wrapped up in themselves. (I have to constantly remind myself of this as I easily become self-conscious.) Next time you take a walk and Corrina behaves beautifully you will forget all about the other time when she cried.

I enjoyed the excerpts from the book you're reading and your thoughts about it. I haven't read much since Christmas - unusual for me but I seem to have been busy with other stuff. I'm trying to get into gardening now. We bought pansies and I planted them in the front yard yesterday. Its trying to snow today of course! The daffodils and tulips look good but I can't find our bluebells. Chris cut the evergreens by the house so that they are now bushes. They look good.

My taxes are done and ready to collect from the accountant. We worked on Grandpa's taxes together yesterday. I really don't enjoy filling out forms but its getting a little easier - be encouraged Dave. I tend to over-think the questions they ask so I get confused about what information is required. Strange for a person who enjoys words and usually has no trouble with understanding prose. I blame government gobbledegook!

Have a wonderful day.
Love, Mom XX

Robyn said...

Janie, what a wonderful book to read. Abba's child is so amazing. When I was first given the book, I put it aside thinking it was to much for me, but when I did pick it up, I coudn't put it down. I had to know more, I wanted to know how to do things in such a great way. God sure does wonderful work in more ways then we all know. He is always forgiving, always loving.

Sue said...

WHAT A CAKE! that's awesome work Janie!!! Man, you should go into business....like that amazing monkey cake you made?? beautiful! :)

glad you are enjoying life and having fun. Hooray for Corrina and the screaming walk...aren't they good times? hahaha.

Julia seemed to know when we were almost home. She would love the walk, and then start screaming sometimes just JUST as we walked up the driveway.

crazy.

love to you. from me.

Lori said...

It is a really good book, eh? I read it around christmas time this year. My mom had recomended it to me. I don't read a whole lot of books in that genre (for a few different reasons I won't get into and reasons that aren't really that good...) but I did enjoy that one and wish I remembered it better. Stuff doesnt sink in too well sometimes!
Love