Saturday, January 14, 2006

Healthy Banana Oatmeal Cookies

Before you read this post.. have you looked at the others? Baby room pics down below!

I did some baking tonight and since i can't share the results with alot of you i had better share the recipe!

So I am going to share one of my beloved cookie recipes. These cookies taste so healthy and yummy that i call them breakfast cookies. I am very serious about breakfast; it needs to be healthy and balanced and these cookies make the cut!

Banana Cookies
3/4 c. margerine
1c. brown sugar (really could be reduced to 1/2 c, especially if you add choc chips... i know, i know.. choc chips are so not breakfast food... well, maybe sometimes!)
1/2 c. mashed ripe banana (i often use more. when i don't have enough banana i use apple sauce.. also wonderful and moist!)
1 tsp. canilla
1 c. flour (white or whole wheat)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. b.soda
3 cups uncooked oats
1/2 c. chopped nuts and/or choc chips
***add any and/or all of the following: oatbran, wheat bran, wheat germ, flax seed (really yummy and makes them have a little crunch!), any other "healthy" things you have around, even extra oatmeal!

** the dough will be thick/clumpy and full of good things; the cookies don't spread out alot because of all the good hearty ingrediants. They pretty much stay in the blob you put them in.

OVEN: 375 for 10-15 minutes (bottoms browned)

1. beat margerine, brown sug, egg, banana and vanilla until creamy
2. mix flour, sal and b.soda together; blend into banana mixture with electric beater
3. using a wooden spoon mix in oatmeal, buts (ha ha, funny spelling mistake, i am leaving it!), choc chips, and healthy stuff
4. Drop by rounded TEASPOONS onto baking sheets (they are better little if you ask me, and they stay in the blob you put them in)

Happy Banana baking! I hope you enjoy them and make them your own... don't forget the healthy things!




4 comments:

Robyn said...

Janie, I can't wait to try these. They sound like the perfect breakfst for those of us late to rise and early to work. I am bad for grabing something on the go, and a cup of coffee. Maybe this will help me get my breakfast in, and start loosing some of those unwanted extra pounds!
Thanks for sharing the great recipe!

DAve and JAnie said...

Thanks! Well, just make sure you cut all the sugar out then if you want these cookies to help you slim down!! They're still cookies (that is what i have to tell myself when i eat like 5 of them at once... It sounds like this in my head: "They're healthy, but they have chocolate chips... but they have wheat germ!! and fibre fibre fibre... but they have butter.... I'm eating 5 anyway!" Tee hee)
But yes, have lots of fun, and alter and change to your taste bud preference!
ps... i think the baby will be here by the 17th for sure! It is just being choosy about it's birthday i guess!

Robyn said...

I do most of my baking with Splenda as I am diabetic. But those cookies are wonderful (even if I snuck some chocolate chips in them)!
Thanks for sharing it with us!
Also, my sister Keyra, had to phone me to tell me about your post on her blog, she was soo excited to see someone other then family post! Thanks!

Matt said...

Wow, looks like a real treat. Too bad Prov doesn't make those. Such a shame...
-Matt