Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Well well!

Well, Happy Valetine's Day, everyone!

And I truly hope it was. On this most festive occastion let us not forget the Saint who invented chocolate. Or something like that. Apparently.

Well, I'll admit at the beginning of the day things were looking a little grim. With Corrina's blessed arrival I haven't exactly had the spare time to prepare a fancy card or bake special goodies. And these days eating out/going on a romantic date isn't really possible with a brest-feeding baby (I appologise to all of you who may have been offended by the word "feeding"). And we don't exactly have a ton of cash lying around for a fancy gift (not like we're exactly into that... we all know how much Janie loves Diamonds)... so I can honestly say I was at a bit of a loss. But we talked about it and we decided that the best gift of all these days is time together, so I was able to go into work early in order to take the afternoon off.

It was great. We got to sit and talk, which is so nice. We had a nice sub for lunch and I was able to pick up a coconut steamer from the Fyxx for Janie on my way home, which smelled great. And, perhaps best of all, I got to spend some real quality time with my little girl, who was actually somewhat playful for what I beleive was the very first time. We cuddled on a fuzzy blanket, stared at the mobil, and had very meaningful conversation. It was lovely. And when she had a nap, Janie and I got to just be "us" for a few precious moments.

Oh, and for dinner we ordered pizza from Diana's Gourmet Pizza, which was awesome. Tell you what, if you live in Winnipeg and want some serisouly good (yet pricey) pizza, check it out! Winner of "Canada's best pizza 2005" by some random group of judges (who may or may not work for Diana)! Great pizza, try the whole-wheat crust with olive oil and herb sauce! Mention our add and get free bread sticks!

Lastly, I'd like to make a plug for Dave'd Rae's Third Wheel Convention:I was only able to drop by for a few minutes, but that doesn't mean it wasn't awesome and hilarious. Check out Dave's blog, now on Blogger!

Anyways, I have to go to bed. S'been a long day, but a really great one.

Hope you and your's are doing well, and God bless.
-Dave

7 comments:

DAve and JAnie said...

By the way, keep trying that video thing. I can get it to work, why isn't it working?
-DAve

Anonymous said...

Mom said,

Glad you had a good time together. I had the day off so I made a special meal of ginger beef stir fry and dipped strawberries in chocolate for dessert - yum!

I see that you temperatures are way down today -34 with the windchill. Wrap up warm and take care,

Love Mom XX

Lori said...

I'm also glad you got to spend some quality time. Time is such a major thing, eh? Not enough time, take a little time, time is ticking away... you know that song? -tick tick ticking away- oh it's ticking--- :) I can hear it in my head, can you?

Sarafina said...

Speaking of time,
you may have more of it soon. Things change so fast with little babies. For example, mine just fell asleep spontaneously while I was reading this post and waiting for him to get tired, bright lights, no "feeding" heehee, and all. Glad you guys are doing so well.
From the lapas

bre said...

I think I am more offended at how you spelled the word "Breast."

Sarafina said...

Hey Janie,
I couldn't decide whether to answer you on your blog or mine...
Sleeping has been a huge issue for us too, which is why I was so excited that Mekaia fell asleep unexpectedly while I was reading your blog!
With Lesina, I found timing her was very effective. Something like 1 hour after she woke from a nap, I would put her down again, and it didn't take much effort, she was really easy to put to sleep, and she learned how to go to sleep on her own very early.
I do remember the later bedtime at the beginning, and I think we just gradually moved it up earlier and earlier, like 15 minutes a day or something. Eventually she was going to sleep between 8 and 9, but I can't remember how long it took.
With Mekaia, I have found timing to be very important too. If he gets overtired, or is awake too long, he is soooooo hard to put to sleep. He usually has a maximum awake time of about 2 hours, usually less. So here's what's worked for us so far....
We started a bedtime routine that's very simple, just a bath, swaddling and eating, then put down to sleep. We've been doing this for about 2.5 weeks, so since he was 5 or 6 weeks old, and ever since then he's been so easy to put down for the night - it's like he knows what he's supposed to do. He goes to bed around 8 usually.
The other thing that's been good is that we try to put him down when he's partially awake, so that he'll learn to settle himself into sleep better. We wrap him up tight so he can't punch himself in the face and wake himself up, we usually rock him until his body relaxes, but he's not sleeping, and then lay him down and pat his stomach and shush him til he's sleeping. Works great!
As far as a schedule, I read somewhere that nighttime sleep gets organized in the brain around 6 weeks of age, while a daytime nap schedule usually occurs more around 12 weeks because of brain maturity. So from my perspective, our babies are ready for a good bedtime routine and trying to sleep better at night, and during the day, I just try to put him down for naps when he looks tired (or before that!) and hopefully he'll go into a schedule soon. Right now my goal is to get him to learn to settle himself to sleep on his own more.
I hope that helps, if you have any questions ever feel free to ask (not guaranteeing any "correct" answers though!)
A good book I've found is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Weissbluth.
Bless you guys,
Sarah

Sue said...

Hey there darlin' folks,

where are the new posts?? where are the pictures? :) We miss you guys and can't wait to see your wee darling girl.

from the naus-lings.