Monday, December 19, 2005

Sometimes.

There are so many things in life that we never remember. At the time they seem so important, they capture our attention and wrestle us to the ground. The throw themselves up in our face when really the only spot they should be is behind us. Sometimes the littlest things can come along and occupy entirely too-much of our head-space.

Today I had about 2 1/2 hours to drive across the city, find stores, find parking, find presents, buy Christmas presents, and return home in time to do a bunch of other things that were screaming to be done. The traffic was nightmarish. Roads were slippery, people stopped in the middle of intersections, traffic creeping along at a snail's pace. When I finally got to where I thought I was going, I realized that I was in completely the wrong part of the city for what I was looking for (please excuse the ambiguity, as those I was shopping for will probably read this!).

And I was mad. I had had enough. I was ready to scream, to honk (which I never do) and even to swear at all the idiots who were in my way (which I REALLY never do). I had had it. I was steaming.

And I had completely lost perspective. The reason I was really mad was because I was asked to be Santa tonight at Janie's work Christmas party. Janie works at a shelter for women and their families who have been abused. Janie and her coworkers work their butts off every day to do a wonderful work. And I was upset because I felt underappreciated.

Being Santa was incredible. Children laughing. Smiling. Eyes like Saucers. Sharing secrets. Pure and holy.

Sometimes things can take your eyes away from what matters and steal your heart away from what really counts. Sometimes we forget.

Sometimes we need a little help.

Never lose sight of Christmas. And always say yes if someone asks you to be Santa.


1 comments:

Claire Colvin said...

I've never officially been a Santa, but there is something on its way to you and Janie. Check your mailbox Thursday. . . . .

Merry Christmas! and much love,
Claire