Saturday, July 22, 2006

Blog Basics: Editing Links 101

There are getting to be enough people out there who still have google news and EDIT ME! on the side of their blogs, so I’m setting out to show you how to change this, quickly and easily. Mark, this one’s for you.


1. First of all, you have to log in to your blogger account. This takes you to a page that says DASHBOARD in big letters at the top.

2. You should see the name of your blog on the left-ish. Click on that. This takes you to a page with the name of your blog and a list of all your posts. Right? If not, start again.

3. At the top are 4 tabs: Posting, Setting, Template, and View Blog. Click on Template. This takes you to a page with a whole lot of http and code and stuff. Take a cue from Douglas Adams: Don’t Panic!

4. Now, this is the tricky bit. What your looking for is a chunk of code that has links in it already. It’ll look like this:








On our template, this section is in the last ¼ of the code.

5. From here, it’s easy. Replace the part in quotes with the web address you want to link to, and replace the text between > and < with whatever you want the link to say. As in, if you want a link to my mother’s blog, you would edit the code to look like this:









6. Make sure you don’t add more or less than you need to (like deleting the = or something). The code won’t appreciate that.

7. Now hit “SAVE TEMPLATE CHANGES” on the bottom of the page, and then click the “Republish Index Only” button. Now the next time you go to your site, you’ll have a link to my mom’s blog! (or whatever). And that’s it! Let me know if this helps!

Note: You made need to refresh your blog to see the changes. I always do.

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Thanks so much for this post. Although I have figured out how to do some of these changes and have done them for friends, it is so nice for someone else to be able to explane them. I don't have the patience in me to explane that to people!
Janie, thanks for the wonderful advice on how to deal with the neighbors. I ened up calling the police, as they didn't stop until well after 6am. I am so glad that Jason took the monday off work, and was able to sleep part of the day, and not worry about missing work because of not sleeping.
I have tried to be nice to these people, but I think that I just have to pray about it, and talk to God about it, as so many other things are not working.

Claire Colvin said...

Hey Dave,

I just found something today that made me think of you. One of the guys at work has built a Lego city at his house (Even though his cats keep invading it). He's posted a bunch of picture of it that I thought you might enjoy.

Hope that you and Janie and Corrie are having a great week-end.

mammasita said...

hey Janie,
I FOUND A WAITING POOL BY MY PLACE!
and Elaina LOVED it today. I had to go get some stuff done and walked passed it and told Elaina if she is good I would bring here there on our way home! Its right across from the Womans and they just put a new playground in there, so they have baby swings.. and then the waiting pool I dont understand it. Elaina was screaming with joy trying to jump and swim. I wish she would scream with joy when she had a bath heheee.
anyways just wanted to tell you that. They told me its open during the week so if you ever want to come to my place we can just walk up there and the babies can have some fun.

mammasita said...

THANKS DAVE IM TRYING TO CHANGE MY BLOG A BIT AND NEEDED TO KNOW THAT!!
I DID IT AND DIDNT HAVE TO ASK JASON HEHEEE