Monday, June 11, 2007

Phone Call From Far Away

So I got a phone call today that might shape the future of the Colvinson clan.

It was actually an appointment by phone with Scott from the Classical Animation dept at Vancouver Film School. VFS offers a 1 year intensive program in Classical Animation (think Flinstones/Simpsons, not 3D like Toy Story) including hands on training with instructors from within the industry and an emphasis on employment. More importantly, however, is the fact that it would mean drawing cartoons for a living. And not just drawing! Watching! I'd have to watch cartoons as part of my homework! Also a big plus is the 100% employability rate of graduates. That doesn't hurt!

So school is expensive and intensive, so it's not exactly something we as a family are quite up for just yet. This is definitely LOOOOONG term goal, not anything that's going to be happening in the next few years. But hey, it's a dream come true. I've wanted to be an animator ever since preschool (no joke). I love the idea of bringing characters and objects and stories to life. I love that you can get a pencil line to move and talk and make you smile and even cry. I love the fun of cartoons, the mystery behind it all, the breadth of the medium. And I just love to draw. I haven't done nearly enough in the last 5 years, preferring to explore other mediums, but I really do love to draw.

But it feels really risky, because you've gotta put yourself out there and put your work on display for everyone to see. Plus pursuing a dream is always risky, because what if it doesn't work out? What if you were wrong? But I know deep down that even that would be better than saying "if only" for the rest of my life.

And it's not that I don't like being a youth pastor anymore. I'm not going to stop ANY time soon. But somewhere on the horizon, some where out there beyond more kids and Janie's 2nd degree, is an opportunity that I for one am very excited about.

So I'm going to do it. Not any time soon, but I will. And I just wanted you all to know.
-DAve


PS> Mr. Anderson, does this finally get you off my back?
PPS> here's one of my favourite shorts from the VFS website. See more here.

6 comments:

Summer said...

Hi Janie,

My name is Summer. I have been following the story of Corrina, and I think it is great that she can finally hear all of you. I am also glad for you let she doesn't cry when she hears noises.

Anonymous said...

Hi Janie,

I found you through Ens Approach. When I was scrolling down her scroll bar I noticed the name and was curious. Thanks for stopping by my blog

Sue said...

yipppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeee for dave!!!!!!!!!!!
awesome!!

sooooooo what was the appointment for??

wowzers. this would be awesome!

-su and the naus clan

Anonymous said...

Dreams are wonderful. Way to go Dave on looking forward to the actual accomplishment of a dream...reality!

DAve and JAnie said...

Dave, I am excited to see what happens in the next few years of our lives! I look forward to you being what you want to be, and doing art more in life.
lots of love... janie

Anonymous said...

I would like to throw my wholehearted support behind this idea. Art has been a joy in your life for so long, and there's no escaping the fact that you're SO BLOODY TALENTED... it's a talent I've envied in the 6(?) years that I've known you. Go for it, dude! Go team Colvinson!